The International Maritime Organization (IMO) supports the implementation of automated electronic data exchange from ship to ship and ship to shore to increase efficiency, safety and security of maritime navigation and communications.
With the increasing use of systems with embedded software on ships and mobile offshore platforms, cybersecurity is becoming critical not only for data protection, but also for reliable operations.
The maritime environment is not immune to the radical ability of modern digital communications and computing to be disruptive. In order to gain the advantages of modern technology those operating in the maritime must also become aware and develop strategies to handle the inevitable security issues that modern computing systems bring with them.
IMSSEA developed an e-learning course for crews and shore staff to raise awareness and establishing new competences concerning cybersecurity, about threats and countermeasures.
The course meets the need to strengthen cybersecurity in maritime environment and to protect workers, cargoes, passengers, vessels, environment and your company against cybersecurity threats.
The main objectives of this course are the following:
- Learn about basic IT and Communication Systems
- Acquire knowledge of Maritime Technologies
- Increase awareness of Security Risks connected to Maritime Environment
- Learn about basic methods to increase Cyber Security
- Acquire Knowledge of key technologies to help protecting your organization
- Acquire awareness of common techniques used by Hackers to exploit vulnerabilities
- Increase awareness of human factor risks and importance of educating users
This course is intended to the following cateogories:
- IT Officers and Assistant IT Officers
- Security Officers
- Ship Engineers
- IT enthusiast people
After the completion of the course, participants have the chance to attend a specific competence assessment test (to be performed personally). Upon successful passing, it will be issued an IMO-IMSSEA certificate.
Course modules and duration (Slides + Video Lessons + Evaluation Tests + Online Tutoring)
|Basic IT and Network Security||3,5 hrs|
|Maritime Communication||2 hrs
|Security Basics||1,5 hrs|
|Exploring Control Types and Methods||2 hrs|
|Securing your Network||2,5 hrs|
|Securing Hosts and Data||2,5 hrs|
|Malware and Common Attacks||2 hrs|
|Internet Of Things||2 hrs